There is no doubt that IT and computing in general are looking to leverage the cloud and virtualization for everything from servers to storage to desktops.
The many benefits of the cloud+virtualization are clear so the only decision that remains is how and when will your business position itself for the competitive advantages that come as a result of these benefits.
Are you ready to move from a Personal Computer era of build to a Cloud era of buy, from technology lock-in to opt-in, rigid to flexible and complex to simple. Desktops-as-a-Service (DaaS) - private cloud-hosted virtual desktops, are most certainly equipped to deliver choice and flexibility without compromising security or control.
DaaS vs Traditional Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)The many benefits of VDI have been recognized and understood for many years now:
- Simplified desktop deployment - quickly and easily provide users with access to the corporate desktop.
- Centralized desktop management - quickly and easily deal with OS updates, CPU, RAM and Hard disk provisioning. Create single images files for use on many different hardware platforms.
- Walk-off data security - 10s of 1000s of laptops are lost or stolen each year. VDI ensures that the Intellectual property is protected from the end-device
- Simplified issue resolution and recovery - failed end-user devices no longer take days to recover from
- Genuine, customizable Windows client environments - VDI eliminates the inherent problems with shared virtual user sessions by providing:
- Independent environments
- Full windows user experience
- Highly flexible environments
- Great performance
- Improved security
DaaS eliminates all of the following requirements of traditional VDI:
- Huge upfront costs:
- Data center costs:
- Server hardware
- Networking hardware
- Management software
- Optimization software
- Storage costs
- Additional physical storage
- Centralized virtual desktop storage optimization
- Management solutions
- Other costs
- Additional power
- Training for understanding and management of the solutions
- The many moving parts which make VDI solutions complex to design and build and operationally intensive and difficult to maintain
- The need for your business to build and maintain its own data centers
Simply put, DaaS provides all the benefits of VDI - and more - without the huge upfront CAPEX.
Key Benefits of Cirrus Dynamics’ Desktone based DaaS offering
- Extend the Life of existing PCs - by an average of 2-3 years and still migrate to the latest windows operating system, without sacrificing performance. DaaS moves all of the OS and application processing off the PC hardware and into the data center.
- Turnkey Desktop Provisioning - Create and manage pools of virtual desktops in just minutes with a few simple clicks without needing to include other groups. IT administrators can define pools, create custom policies for usage and allocate pools to user groups. All pool creation and provisioning is done without requiring any knowledge or experience in dealing with the underlying infrastructure.
- Enterprise Integration - Virtual desktops look and act as part of your corporate IT environment, though they are running at a secure remote data center. This is because the desktops are connected to your corporate IT environment through a private network connection. Access to the desktops is based upon your existing Active Directory.
- Cheaper and lower risk major upgrades - with all of the OS and application software off the PC hardware and in the data center, one image can be used for all hardware platforms. Future upgrades are greatly simplified and remain distinct from hardware refresh cycles
- Strict role separation - Our DaaS provides true separation of the service provider and the customer i.e. the service provider (admin staff etc) is not able to look into a customers network, data etc. The customer is able to securely extend their own network into the data center and provide all of the access to applications etc. currently available to physical desktops.
- Web based Management tools - enjoy delegated administration via a web based management tool for the entire virtual desktop environment so IT staff only need to learn a tool as opposed to learning all of the complex components of virtual desktop infrastructure.
- 100% Satisfaction - DaaS has to deliver on customer satisfaction or else they simply don’t buy. Conversely, with a VDI build-out done on-premise, the risk is being stuck with an unsatisfactory solution until the expenditure can be justified or reasonable ROI is achieved.
- Low cash-out and low-risk - no upfront CAPEX. You get to try the virtual desktop solution and turn it down if not satisfied. Also, centralized, location independent management and control of the desktop environment coupled with the systematic re-purposing of old PCs until the implementation of thin clients, all contribute to overall lowering of TCO. Furthermore, time to value is measured in weeks, not months
- Ease of Accessability - To minimize the cost and labor associated with virtual desktop infrastructures, a self-service, policy-based portal that enterprise users can access from any browser is included. This lets users create, activate and manage their virtual desktops without relying on a system or desktop administrator
- Device Independence - Users can leverage nearly any device to access the cloud-hosted virtual desktops. The VMware Horizon View Client allows access from an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, Android etc. End result; equal transparent access for all users regardless of the physical device.
- Technology agnostic - DaaS provides choice in terms of operating systems, remoting protocols and physical or cloud based technology offerings. For example, being able to test different connection protocols easily, without having to switch hypervisors or infrastructure.
- Security and Compliance - Centralized control of the desktops ensures that compliance is more easily achieved and maintained. Remoting protocols such as RDP ensure that no data passes between the physical access device and the virtual desktop other than screen shots and key-strokes. Also, DaaS supports two factor authentication, key logging and data loss “sniffing”. No need to buy PCs for third parties.
- Decreased Licensing costs - minimize software licensing costs by reassigning pools of virtual desktops to changing groups of users, regardless of access device or location.
- Green Initiatives - replace failing PCs with energy efficient Thin Clients (small carbon footprint, no moving parts, hard drives etc.) and enjoy energy savings of 60-80% per PC.